Energy Performance Certificate

EPCs tell you how energy efficient a home is on a scale of A-G.

The most efficient homes - which should have the lowest fuel bills - are in band A. The Certificate also tells you, on a scale of A-G, about the impact the home has on the environment. Better-rated homes should have less impact through Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions.

The average property in the UK is in bands D-E for both ratings. The Certificate includes recommendations on ways to improve the home's energy efficiency to save you money and help the environment.


EPCs apply also to commercial buildings and are rated only by Carbon Dioxide emission ratings on a scale of A-G.


Domestic EPC

The EPC Explained

As mentioned, the EPC is the Energy Performance Certificate issued to properties following a thorough assessment of the respective properties. EPCs for domestic and non-domestic properties are different and their assessment is also different.

The certificate is presented in a graphical format, and tells how efficient a building is and what sort of an impact it has on the environment. There is a rating scale from A to G, with the most energy-efficient premises getting the A rating. The higher the rating, the lesser the CO2 emission from a property.

What does the EPC contain?

Besides a rating allotted to a certain property, the EPC also contains recommendations on how the energy efficiency of a home or office/business space can be improved to benefit the environment and also help the property owner save monies. It also contains information about the assessor of the property, which means it will tell you about the person who has carried out the EPC assessment as well.


Validity and Utility

The EPC is valid for a period of 10 years. It is a very useful document since EPCs are needed whenever a property is sold, rented or built. Therefore, if one intends to sell, rent or build on a property, they must apply to get an EPC. Once the EPC is commissioned, a property can be marketed immediately.


DEAs and EPCs

As mentioned, the property has to be assessed by someone before it can be given a rating. DEAs are domestic energy assessors who carry out this assessment and produce the certificate. These DEAs are trained in this task and only accredited DEAs are allowed to produce the EPC document. They are members of a government-approved accreditation scheme. In fact, the demand for assessors has led to several jobs being created in the energy assessment field for this occupation. It is important to search for accredited assessors, and always ask for their ID cards when they visit a property.


The Process of Assessment for getting an EPC

To get the EPC, one has to contact an accredited assessor to visit and evaluate a property. After the assessment, the DEA will lodge the request for an EPC on the national register, together with the rating allotted to the particular property. All energy assessors are issued with identity cards which home-owners should ask for before their properties assessment is carried out. 
The important point to note about getting an EPC is to make sure that the person assessing your property is accredited to perform this important task. If a property owner is not satisfied with the assessment carried out, they can request the assessor to carry it out again.


When is an EPC required?

An EPC is required when a property is bought, sold or let on the open market.


Commercial EPC

​If you are renting or selling your property as of the 1st of October 2008 you will require an energy performance certificate also known as an EPC. This is required before marketing of your property can commence. The EPC lasts 10 years and is carried out by one of our accredited energy assessors. This certificate is fully compliant and can be used with any estate agent.

For selling or renting out a portion of a building which has a heating system common with the rest of the building, an EPC for the whole building is to be made available for the buyer or tenant. However, if the a portion which has its own heating system is rented or sold, then an EPC for that area only should be made available for the buyer or tenant.

In UK, a commercial energy performance certificate or commercial EPC is required when selling or renting commercial properties which are over 50 m2 in size, have a roof and walls and use energy to control indoor climate. This is done in an effort to decrease the emission of carbon dioxide from commercial buildings. A commercial EPC has been a requirement for the marketing of a commercial property since 2008. Commercial EPCs are valid for ten years.

In case of a commercial property with a residential portion above the commercial portion where there is a separate entrance for the residential portion, a separate domestic EPC is required for each dwelling and a commercial EPC is required for the shops. However, if there is no separate entrance and the dwellings are only accessible through the shops, then only a commercial EPC is needed. All of this should be followed when selling or renting out a part of the building. If the whole building is marketed, then a single EPC is needed.

Like domestic EPCs, commercial EPCs are also issued by trained and certified assessors after a thorough assessment of the property and evaluation of various factors like energy saving products used within the building. However, the assessors have to be more skilled as they need to assess the HVAC system of the property which is one of the most significant factors in EPC.

Some buildings do not require an EPC. These include, buildings under construction, places of worship, properties due for demolition, buildings having an area less than 50 m2, industrial sites and agricultural buildings, lease surrenders, etc.

There is a certain penalty for not making an EPC available to a prospective buyer or tenant.

facebook logo.png

Eco-energi (Services) Ltd registered in England and Wales No 12129335 - Vat registration no GB 331 2699 09 - Registered office 278 Northfield Avenue Ealing London,W5 4UB